Saturday, August 16, 2014

Hong Kong, August 6 – 14, 2014.

Anne and I were asked by a non-profit to accompany its head of development on a short visit.  This non-profit plans to set up an office in Hong Kong, and wants to continue to engage local organizations.

Separately, Anne has a business trip to Brazil towards the end of the month, and I planned to visit also so she and I can do a bit of touring together.  The Monday (7/28) after we came back from Austria, we went to the Brazilian Consulate in New York to apply, and was told the visas would be ready on August 14, even though their website says about 5 business days.  So I withdrew my application, and Anne canceled her plans for Hong Kong.  This left quite a bad taste in my mind.  Diplomacy and tact seem to be the most basic requirements for someone working in an embassy or a consulate, but not so here.  I am saying this knowing full well a Brazilian wanting a visa to enter the US probably doesn’t get the best of treatment either.

Since this was a relatively short-notice trip, and it’s the summer, the plane tickets were on the expensive side.  I had canceled a trip for earlier this year, and found out to my delight I could reuse all its value on the new ticket.  For some reason the $200 “change fee” was waived.  (We just rebooked another plane ticket and sure enough a $200 fee was charged.)  The upside was that the fare was V class, and thus I got upgraded to business/first by cashing in a couple of the Global Premier Upgrades I got for being a 1K member this year.

Wednesday 8/6.  The non-profit recently hired someone for its China office.  She used to live in New York, and we offered to take some of her belonging (mostly winter clothing) to Hong Kong for her (she also happens to be in Hong Kong around the same time.)  When we went to her house in Queens, we were handed a 65 lb piece of luggage, which I took home and split into two that are more manageable.  Checking them in was quick, so Anne only had to double park with my carryon in the car for a few minutes.

The former Continental 777s have much better business class seats than the United 777s.  I flew on a Continental plane, but still managed only a short nap here and there.  While I am not anxious about flying, the two recently lost Malaysian 777s did make me think a bit.  Thankfully the flight was uneventful.

After I landed, I went looking for One2Free to get a SIM card for data services during my stay.  The shop closed, and 7-11 didn’t sell them.  I had been away from Hong Kong for more than half a year, so I thought I needed a new China Mobile Hong Kong number.  The CMHK clerk told me my number could still be saved, which turns out to be very convenient.  A leisurely meal at Maxim’s was followed by a taxi to Tai Po.  Perry and Sepry were there to help with my heavy luggage, so everything was smooth.

I will be staying at the Tai Po House for 4 nights.

Friday 8/8.  I woke up at 3:30 am, after about 3 hours of sleep, and couldn’t get back to sleep.  With a rather long day ahead of me, I was a little bummed out.  I am glad to report that I did okay.

First it was a visit to Tim’s office so he could draw some blood for tests.  I have a physical scheduled for the end of September, and wanted to get a preview of my situation.  (Turned out okay.)  Next it was an 11 o’clock appointment at CGST where I met with Doreen, Rev. Carver and Dr. Stephen.  I spent a bit over an hour there.  This was followed by lunch with Alfred at Queen’s Café.  We had not seen each other for quite a while.  I then crossed the harbor again to meet up with Larry and Elaine at the Hong Kong Club; this place has the strictest dress code I know of, this time my transgression was not tucking in my polo shirt.  Then I went to Kwun Tong for a visit with Angela of Media Evangelism, where she talked to me about a movie that would be screened in about 5000 cinemas in China next month.

Saturday 8/9.  I slept okay last night (whew.)  Morning was spent trying to find lanterns for the grandchildren; mid-Autumn festival is next month, and Anne thought it would be fun.  It was after 2 pm that I got back to the TP House, by that time Tim, Alyson, and Whitney had already gotten there and had gone out again for a walk.  After they came back, we had dinner at the house.  The two main dishes, smoked duck and abalones, were very good.

Sunday 8/10.  Despite the rather grim weather forecast, we have had good weather so far.  Good if you ignore the occasional light shower, the oppressive heat and high humidity.  In any case, I got to the Aberdeen Boat Club around 10:30 am, had breakfast there, and went on Tim’s boat for a ride to Lamma Island.  Tim has long work days during the week, and wants to make up with physical activities on the weekends.  For today it was a hike to Ling Kok Hill, at 280 meters not a particularly high mountain.  Since we started at sea level, it still meant a climb of about 1000 steps.  I gave up after about 500 (decision helped by light-headedness,) the other three completed the trip.

Start of climb up Ling Kok Hill.  To reach the top would require scaling about 1000 steps, I gave up after 500 or so.

Both my shirt and my shorts were soaking wet.  It was a good thing I brought along two bottles of water.  I could have used more.

After showering on the boat, we had lunch with Anne’s side of the family.  Kenneth, Anna, and Eric; Gordon, Joe-y, and their 4-month old daughter; Gordon’s other two sons Alex and Lucas were also with us.  I ended up talking to Alex for most of the 3+ hour long lunch.  This must qualify as one of the longest meals I have had – I suspect the record 5-hour marathon at Tetsuya’s won’t be broken.

After a half-marathon lunch that lasted over three hours.

After dropping Whitney off, Alyson, Tim, and I hanged out at Tim’s apartment for a short while.  Dinner was at Hei Sheung Fung in Times Square.  Instead of simply dropping me off at Tai Po, Tim and Alyson went and did more exercise at the gym.

Monday 8/11.  The day started with a 9 am breakfast meeting with Vivien who runs a drug rehab center in the Quangzhou area.  She started doing this as a short-term missions project, and has been with the same project for 20 years now.  I then crossed the harbor to Hong Kong Club again to have lunch with Larry, this time remembering to tuck in my polo shirt.

Around this time Nancy called me up to let me know she had arrived at Lo Wu.  We had offered her the Tai Po House during her stay in Hong Kong to get her Chinese work permit.  So I went back to Tai Po, met up with her at the MTR station, and helped her settle in.  After chatting for a while, it was dinner time, and we went back to Chiu Chow Garden, the place I had breakfast with Vivien to start the day.

It was then my turn to pack up.  Because of the crazy meeting schedule last time I was with Chris, I decided staying in town for a few nights would allow me to get a bit more sleep.

Hotel: YMCA Salisbury, 3 nights.

Tuesday 8/12.  Chris came by for breakfast, followed by a meeting with Bo, lunch with Wu, a social entrepreneur, followed by another meeting at the Watermark Community Church with Tobin.  Tobin knows Franklin and Teresa; Franklin was a classmate at Cornell.  The lunch was at an Indian Restaurant in Chung King Mansion, and this was the first time I went inside the building even though it was around when I was very young.  Chung King was in the news recently as there was a suspected case (since tested negative) of Ebola there.

Edwin Lun, a fellow advisory member, booked a table at the Star House Peking Garden.  Nancy came to join us.  I ordered the dishes, including a Peking duck which somehow had a lot more meat to it than the usual Peking duck.  Edwin had to leave early, but he paid for the meal before he left.  (Had I known that I would have ordered shark’s fin soup and abalones; just kidding.)

Weather decided to stop cooperating, and it was pouring as we left the restaurant.  I was the only one with an umbrella.  So I got Chris and Nancy each an umbrella, and we went our separate ways.

Wednesday 8/13.  Chris had a private meeting with the president of Gordon College in the morning, so I had some time to myself.  We met up at The Vine Church with Tony R, an engineer who also is a pastor.  We had lunch (Italian) where he talked about the various ministries he is involved in, many of which have to do with social justice issues (asylum seekers, human trafficking.)  He is Scottish, and has lived in Hong Kong for 26 years.

After lunch, Chris and I went to Crossroads in Gold Coast by taking the MTR to Tuen Mun followed by a taxi ride.  The trip was quite long, and the taxi driver spoke the best English of all Hong Kong taxi drivers I had encountered.  It was raining a bit, so we had to carry around an umbrella as our host took us around the facility.  Crossroads has several ministries, one of which is to simulate various human conditions such as poverty and refugee.  I could sense how powerful these simulations were.  Another major thrust is to collect donated goods and pack them for shipment to various places in need.  People there are volunteers supported by donations.  They also provide some job skills training for refugees.

I left after meeting up with DJ, who heads up the operation.  Chris stayed behind to talk about possible collaboration with them.  I hopped on a local bus for the Tsuen Wan MTR station.  This local bus started in Yuen Long, and seemed to make a stop every couple of hundred yards, traveling on the old Castle Peak Road.  From start to finish there are over 70 stops (if I counted correctly.)  I didn’t have to suffer through that many, but was quite uncomfortable towards the end (I had to sit sideways, which didn’t help.)  I was joking to Anne afterwards whether this kind of stupidity constitutes suffering for the Lord.  A search of the web yields the following facts about KMB route 51: 74 stops, 30.8 km length, and 98 minutes journey time.

I had dinner at Café de Coral and McDonalds (chicken in both places, and yes, two meals.)

Thursday 8/14.  Travel day.  I woke up at around 7 am, had breakfast (a full buffet is included with my stay,) and then took a taxi to the Kowloon Airport Express Station.  I was through security in less than 45 minutes.  I met up with Chris at his departure gate, said goodbye, and boarded my own flight.

This entire blog was typed inside UA116, my only notes are some of my expense records.  I wonder how good my memory is.


Passport control was straightforward, but there was a long line waiting to clear customs.  Most of the people were students who just came off a Jet Airways flight: reminded me of my arrival in the US 40 some years ago.  I stopped by Travelex to buy some Brazilian Reals for Anne’s upcoming trip; she picked me up afterwards.

No comments: