Thursday, November 28, 2013

Los Angeles area. November 23 – 26, 2013.

I am about 5000 miles short from achieving the 1K status on United Airlines, which a quick trip to the West Coast will do.  After chatting with David for a bit, I decided to stay at his place for a couple of evenings.  Not much planned except to meet up with a few people.

November 23, Saturday.  Anne had to be in NY this morning, so I walked to the train station to catch the 12:42 pm train to Newark.  It was in the high 40s, a bit windy, but sunny.  The train was on time, but the monorail had a bit of a problem: it took more than 20 minutes to get to Terminal C.  I am glad I didn’t cut it that close.  The other problem was I didn’t get TSA Pre-Check this time, s    o I was a bit worried about having to wait at security for a long time.  But no one was traveling, so it was a breeze.  I had a first class seat, and enjoyed the meal and the ice cream sundae for dessert.  The headwinds were such that the trip took over 6:30 hours, so I got to the gate at SFO at 6:30 pm.  However, the shuttle for the commuter terminal left soon after I boarded, so I made the connection SFO to Burbank with 15 minutes to spare.  This should be a short hop of about 50 minutes (I am typing this inside the plane.)

David got to the terminal about 5 minutes after I called him, we had dinner at Denny’s before heading back to Agoura Hill.

I will be staying at David’s place for two nights.

November 24, Sunday.  Went to FCBC for their 10:15 am English Service.  This is the church I attended when I lived in the area about 10 years ago.  Lunch with Alfred, Emily and their daughter’s family.  For dinner David took me to a Szechuan place in the Agoura Hill area.  Quite spicy, quite good, and quite inexpensive.

November 25, Monday.  Lunch in Monterrey Park with Kin, David, and Alfred.  We met each other when we were in our 20s, and this is now about 4 decades later.  Went back to Agoura Hill, took a shower, and it was time to head back out first to a simple but nice dinner at Woodgrill Ranch. David dropped me off at the airport at around 7 pm.  Very few people, thus security was a breeze.

Flight to SFO was uneventful, although we had to wait a bit to deplane because of the need “to clear stuff out from the gate” which was interesting as we really didn’t have a gate.  Transfer back to main terminal was again straightforward.  I couldn’t resist and had a bowl of soup at the San Francisco Soup Company.  A bit disappointed.


Plane got in on time.  Anne picked me up.

No comments: