Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Hong Kong. August 31 – September 7, 2017.

A few weeks ago I began to notice that airfare to Hong Kong was quite cheap, so the thought of visiting a few days came to mind.  With Anne starting her teaching in early September, and the expect date for our fifth grandchild in mid-October, we would be traveling much for the rest of the year.

The airfare turned out to be $566, roundtrip, and is the cheapest in memory.  Anne decided not to come as she wanted the time to prepare for her classes.

Thursday 8/31.  Anne dropped me off at around 1:45 pm.  I was bringing a bottle of Keri Lotion for Larry, so had to check in my luggage.  Pre-Check was straightforward, and I had a little time to spend at the United Club.

Compared to our Newark to Nashville experience, this was much better.  First, the plane left the gate on time, and the pilot announced that we would get into Hong Kong about 45 minutes ahead of schedule, something that rarely happens.

I have a row of three seats all to myself in the relatively empty economy plus section.  The regular economy section is quite full.  I guess a row by the window would have been even better, but really.  Food was not that great, but no complaints since I had no expectations.

I tried to read a book I brought along but couldn’t concentrate enough to do more than one chapter.  Watched one movie.  The rest of the time? Trying to get some sleep, managed a couple of hours.

Saturday 9/1.  Well, the plane didn’t land 45 minutes early.  It landed on time at around 7:10 pm.  As we were about 400 feet off the ground (as indicated by the flight map on the monitor), the pilot turned up the engine and gain altitude.  After about 15 minutes he came on the PA and informed us there was a weather cell in the area and he had to abort.  Later he explained that he would try again, and given the situation, would land the plane at another airport as the plane was low on fuel.  (Not unexpected as I understand a plane typically has a 45 minute reserve.)  We landed okay, and I encountered no rain the rest of the evening.  This was my second “go-around” experience in my 40 years of flying; other than the times I did it often as a student pilot.



Screen shots from Flightaware.com on UA179.  The first landing approach was aborted at 6:34:30 pm, landing was at 7:14:36 pm.

After dinner at Ho Hung Kee at the airport, I ran into Tony and Pauline from church; they just returned from a trip to Japan.  We chatted a bit before we went our separate ways.

Ran into the Chu's who just returned from Japan. Pauline took the picture.

Accommodations for trip: Causeway Bay Apartment.

Saturday 9/2.  Tim stopped by this morning before heading off to work, his usual routine.  Afterwards I went off to have breakfast at Fairwood, bought some groceries, and a ticket for a chamber concert next Wednesday.

I met up with Alyson at the Hyatt Shatin for lunch, and we talked for a couple of hours.  This was followed by a visit to Tai Po; Tim and Whitney would be there for the weekend.  The pool is now used as a fish pond, and boy, do the koi grow and multiply; the two oscar fish evidently couldn’t keep up with the small fries so many of them get to grow up as so many eluded being eaten.  Then I met up with Anthony, Pauline, and their two girls at Jade Garden in Star House for a nice dinner (more the company, the food was a bit disappointing) before heading off to the Cultural Center across the street for a Hong Kong Philharmonic Concert.  All these leisurely events added up to a long day: I left a bit before noon and didn’t get back until 10:30 pm or so.

Sunday 9/3.  I decided to attend the 11 am service at the Congregation Church down the street.  It was also communion Sunday.  I then traveled to Grand Century Plaza and had lunch there before meeting Alfred for coffee.  This was followed by a visit to a local café to try their French Toast, again somewhat of an excitement.  It was then back to Causeway Bay to have dinner with Tim and Whitney, this time at Ming Restaurant in Hysan Place.  Seeing how badly I seemed to hurt, Tim and I dropped by his office to get an injection to relieve the pain.  (This is about 2 hours later, and I am not sure how well it has improved.)

Sumptuous lunch at a Grand Opera eatery before meeting up with Alfred.

Monday 9/4.  Lunch was with Nathan at Papparich in Central.  I thought I was smart to suggest that we start early to beat the lunch crowd.  They were smarter: our ticket had a 45-minute time limit written on it.  We managed to sat around and talked for an hour or so.  We then found a coffee house and talked for a bit.  Nathan is leaving Hope International at the end of October, and we have gotten to know each other well over the years.  Larry got in touch with me and asked me to join his “group” for dinner at “The Chairman.” I knew everyone in the group, including Anne’s two cousins.  They had a lot to say, so I had to use jetlag as an excuse to get out at around 10:30 pm.

This place in Central is very popular with the locals.

Dining for the "elite."  Food was quite good, to be fair.

Tuesday 9/5.  Lunch was with Larry at Hong Kong Club.  Spent afternoon going over some paperwork.  Dinner with Tim and Whitney at this Shanghai Restaurant in Lee Theater.  It was generally a good meal, but somewhat marred the discovery of an insect in the pancakes used to wrap the pieces of duck with.  We turned down the staff’s offer of free dessert, they did take out the cost of the dish, though.

Matchbox used to be very close to the apartment.  They moved to a less expensive part of Causeway Bay.

Wednesday 9/6.  After breakfast at Warren Café, I took the bus to Mongkok Tung Choi Street to visit goldfish street.  The merchants there pack different types of fish in plastic bags and hang them on a rack for buyers to peruse.  Still trying to decide if that was cruel, although the plastic contains meant the fish couldn’t hurt themselves.  Had tea with Alfred in Hysan Place to get the latest scoop on office politics: they are thinking of reorganizing the Board.  Dinner again with Whitney and Tim, this time at Holiday Inn Express behind Times Square.  Tim gave me a second injection for my knee before dinner.

A "Full English Breakfast" served at Warren Restaurant.  All the ingredients are there: chicken cutlet, bacon, egg, beans, toast, and tea.

 Some of the fish being sold in these plastic bags cost over US$40.  I wonder if this is considered inhumane.  (The fish are sold as pets, not as food; well, some as food for other fish.)

I also got to see a chamber music concert performed by Yuja Wang and several members of the Hong Kong Philharmonic.  A bit surprised at the number of empty seats in the house.

Thursday 9/7.  Taxi to Hong Kong Station followed by train ride to airport.  Got there early enough to have breakfast in United Lounge.  Regular economy quite full, although economy plus is reasonably empty – I have an empty seat next to me, and some folks are enjoying entire rows.

Plane landed on time, and I managed to breeze through customs with the Mobile Passport App.  Unfortunately, I seemed to have caught a cold from a fellow passenger seated by the window a row behind me (he was coughing heavily.)

A plug for the Mobile Passport App on the iPhone.  It made going through immigration and customs a very straightforward process.


Anne picked me up.

No comments: