Thursday, April 04, 2013

Hong Kong and China, March 20 – April 4, 2013


I am typing this inside UA116 enroute Hong Kong to Newark.  By this time I have forgotten some of the specifics of the trip …

This was a trip with several objectives.  A primary one was to join a group of Christians from Hong Kong to visit various organizations in China.  I was asked to come along by someone I met last year through my brother.  The second reason was that we had some family matters to take care of.  Third, David and Ruby were going to be in town from early April on, so I thought I would stick around a few days to meet up with them.  Fourth, I wanted to visit CGST (China Graduate School of Theology) to understand a bit what they do.  Fifth, Josh from Hope International would be in Hong Kong for a few days, so we would have a chance to meet.  Lastly, our family friend George L just got out of hospital after spine surgery, so I thought I would also visit him.

Wed Mar 20.  Flight 117 EWR-HKG was packed.  The guy in the middle seat is quite heavy and spilled over onto both sides.  I told Anne afterwards I had about 80% of my seat to myself.  He also had a birth defect that resulted in two thumbs on each of his hands, so I also had to avoid staring.  Despite that, the trip was rather painless; and the plane got in quite a bit ahead of schedule.  I ate at the airport, bought myself a phone card, and then took a taxi to the Tai Po House, where I would stay during my time in Hong Kong.

Sat Mar 23 – Tue Mar 26.  The group that visited China consisted of about ten people plus a young lady who helped with the logistics.  While what we did was certainly legal, and our hosts complied with all necessary regulations, I won’t be describing a lot of specifics in this blog.

In the group are four people over the age of 80: a couple from Hong Kong who are very into doing charity work in China, a lady who has been doing this for a long time, and another lady who flew in from the United States – her daughter also came along.  There is this retired lawyer who is in his early fifties.  A representative from a Hong Kong-based charitable organization came.  The friend who invited me, another friend he invited, a professor from a small college in the United States and I rounded out the group.  I told Anne this was like an opera crowd – I find myself in the younger group.  What is amazing of course was the conditions at some of the places are not that great, and the older folks – especially the older ladies – took it all in stride.

We visited several cities.  Each city has a metropolitan population of around 1 million people, with about 300,000 in the city proper.  In addition, we also visited some of the nearby villages.  “Nearby” could mean a 90-minute bus ride.  The Chinese have a system of classifying their counties, cities, and villages.  I won’t bother to describe it since I don’t completely understand the system anyway.

We visited quite a few churches, many seating between 500 to 1000, several child care centers, and a couple of clinics, many started by the people in the group.  In addition, we also saw some meeting points which typically could accommodate 50 to 200 people.  I joked that oftentimes I felt like I was on a European tour: after the third cathedral they all began to look alike.  To add to the analogy, these cities are all along the same river – akin to the many capitals that line the Danube.

Many of the cities we visited were on a high speed train route.  The trains reach a speed of 300 km/hr, taking a load off traveling time.  All three legs that we took were packed, and the conditions inside were not the best, especially the bathrooms (so I was told by those who had to go.)  Prices were reasonable, a 90 minute trip cost about US$30 equivalent.

 There are these "Meeting Points" all over the countryside where between 50 to 200 people worship.  They are looked after by staff from more established churches.

 Another meeting point.

 This church was designed by someone in our group.

 The inside of a church.

 Skyline of a typical city we visited during this trip.

 The blades of this ceiling fan are wrapped in newspaper during the winter months to protect them.

 The group with some of our hosts.

 All the churches and meeting points have these regulations posted prominently.  Most of the stipulations are of the "this is not allowed" category.

 We also met with a group of blind Christians.  Here they were singing a hymn.  We had dinner with them later in the day.

 These trains can go 300 km/hr.  One hopes they are maintained better than their washrooms.

 Hymn for the worship service.

 Inside the ruins of an old church (about 100 years).

 A church under construction.

 This is one of the earliest churches procured by someone in the group.  It was over 20 years ago.

 Beautiful mountains of the area.

State of dining table after our lunch.

Wed Mar 27.  I met up with Josh at a TST Starbucks and chatted for about two hours, discussing various options for Hope China.   Lunch with Tim at the Chinese Restaurant in the Cubus building.  Mostly variations on traditional Chinese dishes.  Afternoon was another meeting to take care of some family issues at Admiralty, and then it was rushing back to Taipo for dinner and then a Hope CAB call.  A rather busy day.

Thur Mar 28.  I had arranged for Josh to meet up with Winnie W of the Hong Kong Christian Council to share the respective activities of the two organizations.  Winnie also got us to meet with Rev. Po who heads up that organization.  Afterwards Josh and I got drenched by the torrential rain.  This turned out to be the last time I saw Josh on this trip, their son ran a rather high fever and they eventually had to take him to the 24-hour clinic of The Hong Kong Sanitorium Hospital Friday night.  Things turned out okay, but I can understand the anxiety of young, first-time parents.

Fri Mar 29.  Despite having been a Special Administrative Region of China since 1997, Hong Kong still observes Good Friday and Easter Monday.  I would find myself mostly idle during these four days.  Since April 4 would be another public holiday (a day Chinese traditionally use to visit their ancestors’ graves), people could have a 10-day break by taking three days of vacation, and many do so.  Nonetheless, the shopping malls and restaurants continue to be crowded.

Sat Mar 30.  This was another busy day.  First I went to Jimmy’s Kitchen in Central to meet with Eric whom I met during our Norway trip in January.  He had some suggestions on microfinance enterprises that he wanted to share with me.  After picking up some strawberries and nuts at City Super as gifts, I visited George, who had spine surgery a couple of weeks ago to fix a herniated disc.  He was wearing a heavy torso brace, and still had some tenderness in his legs and feet.  Dinner was back on Hong Kong Isalnd with my niece Alyson at Crowne Plaza Chinese Restaurant.

Sun Mar 31.  I set out for a long walk along the Lam Chuen and Tai Po Rivers.  I saw a signpost of Lin Au and followed it to the (same) old school house I visited recently.  The rain cut the walk short, to a little over 4 miles.  Still quite pleasant.

Mon Apr 1.  I went out for a 4-mile jog in the morning.  Today was the first day during this trip that I saw the sun, only glimpses of it at that.  Other than getting wet a few times, I didn’t really mind.  Most of my winter exercise (and I had been a bit lazy) was on an elliptical machine, so I rediscovered some of my muscles.  Ruby didn’t make the trip, so I had dinner only with David.  He knew about this restaurant at the City University, which is near the Kowloon Tong Station.  It served very reasonably priced food.  We had two small appetizer dishes and three main dishes for a total of about US$40.  The main dishes were all “hakka-style,” including stuffed tofu and pork belly with taro.

Tue Apr 2.  This morning I had an appointment with Rev. Carver Yu of CGST.  I was surprised at how pleasant the campus environment is.  It was also interesting that among CGST’s neighbors are the local Mormon Temple and a residence with a prominent Thai Buddhist shrine.  He also gave me a couple of books published by the staff.

I then met up with David for lunch at Queen’s Café in Festival Walk.  We then went to Kwun Tong to meet Mrs. Au, who has been the sole “employee” of church.com.hk for over ten years – she gets paid when the budget allows it, otherwise she works as a volunteer.  The website has access to over 10,000 sermons.

Dinner was with Kashi, her sister Ellen, Ellen’s daughter Pat and son-in-law Bosco, their two children Ashley and Leo at a Festival Walk Restaurant.  And they brought along two maids.  I didn’t know Kashi’s relatives, but David and Ruby know them quite well.

Wed 4/3.  Lunch with Tim at Alba in the Cubus building.  It is a European fusion restaurant: tapas for appetizer, French lamb for the main course, and tiramitsu for dessert.  Alyson joined us after her morning classes at Chinese University, and we had only time with her for her appetizer.  It was then off to Hong Kong Club to see Elaine for tea, Larry was also there.  By the time I got done with some errands (buying flowers for Anne’s mom’s birthday and getting some photocopies made) it was close to dinner time.  I bought some take-out food and ate with Alyson – Tim having to leave for the recording studio right after work.

Thu 4/4.  Taxi pickup at 7:30 am.  Being a public holiday, trip took only 40 or so minutes.  Kenneth and Anna were also flying out (to Europe) at this time, so we chatted for a little bit before we boarded our respective flights.

This was another packed flight, and there was initially someone in the middle seat.  She moved after her husband found two adjoining seats.  I hope I can take advantage of the extra room.

No comments: