Thursday, October 16, 2008

Hong Kong, October 9 - 16, 2008.

Anne had a 10-day or so business trip to Beijing. Since I didn't want to go to Beijing, so I traveled by myself to Hong Kong.

10/9/08. EWR-HKG. Middle seat empty. Didn't sleep much, though. Hanged around the airport to have dinner so as not to disturb Tim during his radio show. Staying at his place this time, saving a bundle!

10/11/08. Saturday. Lunch with Johnny, Mamie, and Ka Shi. Had coffee with Johnny until 6 pm. Ate by myself. Noticed that many restaurants were quite empty on a Saturday night, probably a result ot the stock market turmoil.

10/12/08. Sunday. Went on Tim's boat to get to Lamma Island, together with Tim, Ling & Wally. Dinner at a chiu-chow restaurant in Kowloon City. I am generally not a fan of chiu-chow cuisine, but this was a nice meal.

10/13/08. Monday. Walked to North Point mid levels to look at the area. Turns out it's 200 steps up from King's Road to Tin Hau Temple Road, and another 300 plus to Cloud View Road. Tiring, but I'm glad I'm at least somewhat in shape for it. Pretty nice area, but not convenient to markets, restaurants, and transportation.

10/14/08. Tuesday. Lunch at Chiu Lau at 1 Peking Road with Alfred, Ling & Wally. Another chiu-chow restaurant, although they serve regular Cantonese dim sum for lunch.

10/15/08. Wednesday. Went on Tim's boat with Franklin and Theresa; we know Franklin from our Cornell days. They met up with Anne in Beijing this past Sunday. Sailed by Middle Island, Repulse Bay, Stanley where we stopped for coffee at Starbucks, Lamma Island and Bel-Air/Cyberport. Dinner at Vietnamese restaurant in Hopewell Center. A pleasant few hours spent with a nice couple.

10/16/08. Thursday. HKG-EWR. This turns out to be basically a 5-day trip. I wouldn't mind staying a few more days, but this is fine. I have the entire 3 seats on the window side, and not sure how to take advantage of the riches (I tend not to lie down to sleep). The plane is not as highly loaded as the seat maps a couple of days would indicate. Continental has two 777 configurations in their fleet, the newer version which I took EWR-HKG has more AC outlets and entertainment on demand; however, it has one fewer restroom and lines are noticeably longer. Can't have it both ways, I guess.

No comments: